It’s no secret that Patrick is one of Charles Schulz’s biggest fans. In his book The Comic Art of Patrick McDonnell, he says Schulz “breathed life into his pen-and-ink creations. He gave the comic strop emotion and spirituality; he wrote and drew from his heart. His pen lines were filled with joy, a quality Schulz called ‘warmth.’I became lost in those lines. Peanuts gave me a sense of peace and wonder that inspired me to want to become a cartoonist.”
As a tribute to the man who became his mentor, Patrick created a week-long series of strips that pay homage to Mr. Schulz. They are running September 10-15, 2012, and have already gotten lots of notice:
- The Five Cents Please Blog—a site that posts Schulz-related news—spread the word about the tribute week and also noted that in 2000 Patrick “organized a ‘Peanuts tribute day’ among fellow newspaper cartoonists to commemorate 50 years of the Peanuts comic strip.”
- ComicsBeat.com gave their readers a sneak peek at two panels.
- The AAUGH Blog also gave their fans a heads up that the strips would be coming soon.
- The Daily Cartoonist says, “Sparky once called MUTTS ‘one of the best comic strips of all time’ and this week Patrick tips his hat back.”
- USA Today’s PopCandy blog called the week of strips “pretty cool.”